Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Know My Heart

Psalm 139:23-24 (New International Version)


[23] Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
[24] See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

What a bold prayer David prayed; he gave the god of the universe permission to look into the secret place in his heart and to change his way. He gave God the key to his heart and said, 'here God, check up on me. See what's there, and change what you don't like.'

But here's what I find interesting. Take a look at Psalm 139 as a whole. It's not a long chapter, so take a minute and read all the way through. I took special note on the first and second verses:

[1] You have searched me, LORD,
and you know me.
[2] You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.  -Psalm 139:1-2

David doesn't just want God to look at his heart once. David wants God to have active knowledge of and access to his heart. In these first two verses he sets us straight right off; God already knows him. Throughout the chapter he describes the fullness of God's knowledge and presence, and in the last two verses he asks God to continue knowing him.

So what does this have to do with me? I read this passage and had to ask myself, 'Are you will to give God full, undenied access to the secret place of your heart--not just today, not just yesterday, not just for 24 hours--for good?' How about you? You know what I'm talking about, you know what's in your heart, will you pray the prayer? I know that is what I long to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment