Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

People Like Me


We've all heard it before, but I want to tell you the story of grace. You probably say, 'Oh I know all about that one,' I want to give you a new perspective on it. So if you will, get out your Bible or point your browser to your preferred online Bible [technology these days, huh ;) ] I'm going to give you a picture from Ezekial 16, begining with the fourth verse:
[4] On the day you were born, no one cared about you. Your umbilical cord was not cut, and you were never washed, rubbed with salt, and wrapped in cloth. [5] No one had the slightest interest in you; no one pitied you or cared for you. On the day you were born, you were unwanted, dumped in a field and left to die. [6] “But I came by and saw you there, helplessly kicking about in your own blood. As you lay there, I said, ‘Live!’ [7] And I helped you to thrive like a plant in the field. You grew up and became a beautiful jewel. Your breasts became full, and your body hair grew, but you were still naked. [8] And when I passed by again, I saw that you were old enough for love. So I wrapped my cloak around you to cover your nakedness and declared my marriage vows. I made a covenant with you, says the Sovereign Lord, and you became mine.
What a beautiful picture. We were abandoned, left in a field to die, left in our own blood. And Then God.
[9] “Then I bathed you and washed off your blood, and I rubbed fragrant oils into your skin. [10] I gave you expensive clothing of fine linen and silk, beautifully embroidered, and sandals made of fine goatskin leather. [11] I gave you lovely jewelry, bracelets, beautiful necklaces, [12] a ring for your nose, earrings for your ears, and a lovely crown for your head. [13] And so you were adorned with gold and silver. Your clothes were made of fine linen and were beautifully embroidered. You ate the finest foods—choice flour, honey, and olive oil—and became more beautiful than ever. You looked like a queen, and so you were! [14] Your fame soon spread throughout the world because of your beauty. I dressed you in my splendor and perfected your beauty, says the Sovereign Lord.
What grace. God saw us, abandoned, dieing, kicking in our own blood, and he loved us. However, the rest of the chapter tells us of Israel's unfaithfulness, how we who had recieved so much from God took it and abused it, became adulterous, prostitutes, idoliters, sacrificing even the children we birthed to God to our idols, and altogether forsook God. But wait, because the story isn't over yet. Skim through to the end, verse 53:
[53] “But someday I will restore the fortunes of Sodom and Samaria, and I will restore you, too. [54] Then you will be truly ashamed of everything you have done, for your sins make them feel good in comparison. [55] Yes, your sisters, Sodom and Samaria, and all their people will be restored, and at that time you also will be restored. [56] In your proud days you held Sodom in contempt. [57] But now your greater wickedness has been exposed to all the world, and you are the one who is scorned—by Edom and all her neighbors and by Philistia. [58] This is your punishment for all your lewdness and detestable sins, says the Lord.



[59] “Now this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will give you what you deserve, for you have taken your solemn vows lightly by breaking your covenant. [60] Yet I will remember the covenant I made with you when you were young, and I will establish an everlasting covenant with you. [61] Then you will remember with shame all the evil you have done. I will make your sisters, Samaria and Sodom, to be your daughters, even though they are not part of our covenant. [62] And I will reaffirm my covenant with you, and you will know that I am the Lord. [63] You will remember your sins and cover your mouth in silent shame when I forgive you of all that you have done. I, the Sovereign Lord, have spoken!”

Really? Did he just say that? Even after all our unfaithfulness, he restored Israel? God renewed an eternal covenant with us--with me?
 
Whether he sees me kicking in my own blood, abandoned and despised by all, or when I come crawling back to him in shame, God is forever forgiving. Verse 63 again says, you will remember your sins and cover your mouth in silent shame when I forgive you of all that you have done. I, the Sovereign Lord, have spoken.
 
God loves people like me. He loves people like you. No matter what you have done, where you go, or who you are, God loves people just like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment