Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Doubting?

God has said, "Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence,
"The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?
Hebrews 13:5-6
Do you believe in God? Do you believe He is always with you? Do you believe He hears you when you pray? Many Christian teens, and Christians in general, have a difficult time answering these questions, why is that?
A statement I have been hearing alot lately is, "I believe God exists, but I'm unsure of everything." You feel unsure and afraid. You believe in God but you do not feel he is there or hears you, and you don't know if he even wants you.

Growing up I was a pretty good kid. Not to brag or anything. I attended a Seventh Day Adventist church growing up and learned it all. Or so I thought. I toted my Bible to church, later carried it most everywhere I went, had my shirts tucked in and my hair parted. Yep, I was the perfect kid and I was not going to hell under any circumstance. What didn't I have? I had knowledge - I could list the books of the Bible off by heart in order. I had works - I didn't lie, steal, cheat, fight, make a ruckus in church, and I heard every word the preacher spoke.

But I was like the seeds which fell among the shallow ground, for they shot up quickly, but they withered because they had no root. Temptation befell me and I followed right along, ignoring the sound of my conscience.

Now, a fearful baptism and a few years of depression later, I've found that what I lacked then was a true relationship with God. I was put through years of hardship as God tested me and melded me into something new, something that would be devoted to Him.

So to all of you young teens struggling with your faith in Christ Jesus, what would I say? Take courage! God is there, and he did pay for your salvation on the cross, all you must do is believe, and reach out and take it. But that isn't all God wants, God wants a relationship with you. YOU! The God of the universe! So hold fast through the trials and the tribulations, God wants devotion and he will test your heart for it.

If you struggle with believing in God or being sure of your faith, begin at the begining. Read the Word--begin with the Gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John--and pray every day even if you feel as though he doesn't hear you. Seek him in the secret places, ask him to be with you. Seek out fellowship among Christian friends who have their hearts set on God and whose faith is strong, for steel sharpens steel.

If you have questions, ask your youth pastor or an adult. Don't let anything come between you and knowing your saviour.

Blessings to you in your journey

No comments:

Post a Comment