Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Intimacy with Jesus


[14] “I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me, [15] just as my Father knows me and I know the Father. So I sacrifice my life for the sheep. -John 10 14:15



What does intimacy mean to you? 

Is it physical closeness...a touch... a smile? Is it the freedom to pour your heart into another? Is it being able to simply sit and listen? 

God, You are my God, and I will ever praise You
God, You are my God, and I will forever [always, ever moment] praise You
And I will seek [look for] You in the morning [very first thing, above all else]
And I will learn to walk in Your way
And step by step [one moment at a time] You lead me
And I will follow You all of my days [forever and always]

That is my Intimacy Covenant; God gave it to me when I began my prayer journal (around a year ago now). It isn't what my spiritual life looks like--not by a long shot--but it is what I want my life to look like. And more importantly, I believe it is the intimacy that God desires from me. 

And my heart yearns within me for it. 

So what's holding me back if I already have a key to life and Godliness? College? Work? Stress? Too little time? Yet every area of my life would benefit if I put an intimate relationship with God at the center of my priority. I'm not there yet. 

But I'm growing, as you are too. How can we help but not grow when every incident that we pass through strengthens us, gives us new faith, humbles us and draws us in to the holiness of God? The spirit is willing, and if the spirit is willing, the flesh doesn't matter; we can throw it off and let it rot on the ground. And then I notice something new in my Intimacy Covenant that wasn't there before--or rather, I didn't realize the full significance of it before. 

And step by step You lead me.

Step by step, moment by moment. God isn't looking for me to have it all together, He's looking for me to take His hand, put as much trust in him as I have, and allow Him to lead me on this Great Adventure.

I'm going to have to change my whole philosophy surrounding my covenant.

It's enough that I desire--enough for Him to work with. It's enough because I will always be a work-in-progress till the day I am completed--which, by the way, isn't going to be for a while. But that's okay, because He isn't waiting with an iron fist for the day when I can finally fulfill my covenant to Him. He's already leading me into fulfillment--into intimacy with Him. And that is what my intimacy covenant is all about. 


Jesus, I bow before You. You are my LORD. Make me a servant. Lead me into intimacy with You; show me what intimacy with You looks like. Give me a covenant of intimacy with You, and draw near to me as I draw nearer to You. Hold me close; You are the only One that can speak the deep intimacy languages of my heart, and I open my heart to intimate relationship with Your heart. Thank-you for Your sacrifice which gave me the right to share intimacy with You. I pray this in Your name; Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment