Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Good Shepherd - Being a Follower

We've all seen a Nativity or Bible story picture with shepherds in it. They're the guys with sheep and bent sticks. When I was younger I wondered where they got those neat bent sticks from and how they got bent in the first place. I want you to keep that image in your mind as you read this post.




John 10 (New Internation Version)

[2]The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. [3]The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. [4]When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice.

How do we as Christians relate to following Jesus? How can we know that what we are following really is Jesus and not someone else? And how do we become better followers?

Hearing God's Voice. Do you believe that God still speaks to people as he did to people in the Bible? Believe it or not, He does. I fully believe that I hear God's voice. But is hearing His voice enough? Sheep can hear anyone's voice, even the theif and the robber who climbs over the wall of the fold. So what do we do when we hear God?

As I was talking to God a week or so ago I asked him, ironically enough, how to hear his voice. He gave me three words: Listen, Believe, and Obey.
Listen. Listen for the voice of God. "...and the sheep listen to his voice." Anyone can hear God if he wants to be heard, but you must listen to his voice. He will call you out, even by name, to lead you. If you listen attentively, the voice of God will become unlike all the rest - you will know his voice.

Believe. Believe it is the voice of God calling you out. Knowing and believing are two separate actions. I may know that people use and study all kinds of advanced chemistry science all the time, but I will never believe that anything down to a molecular level is of any use! You must believe in your own heart which voice to follow--for there will be many other voices--and then, follow it!

Obey. You can listen and believe all you want, but there's no use in either if you will not follow the call of God. You cannot remain in the fold within the four walls of the Law and Religion and the fear of striking out, you must follow the call of God.

These are the three steps you should take to hearing God and initially, following him. But what about false shepherds? This would be what some refer to as the anti-christ.
[4]"When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice."
A true shepherd does not go behind the flock and prod with the stick. He does not nudge them on their way from behind. No. The staff serves a purpose but this is a case in which following truly means following.
A leader leads by example - so Christ led by example - and he continues on ahead of us. We must listen to his voice and follow. If we will follow him, he will lead us.

Psalm 23 (NIV)

A psalm of David.

[1] The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. [2] He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters, [3] he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake. [4] Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
[5] You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows. [6] Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment